Saturday, January 22, 2011

Baking Day!!

This all this fuss this week with my diabetes
and the struggles it bring to my
day, every day

I really wanted to bake. 

I know it should sound completely not normal for a diabetic
to enjoy baking since
99.9%
of things you bake are full of sugar, but I 
LOVE
It. 


Normally, as you see I bake cakes. Just so happens
I don't actually enjoy eating cake all that often
unless it is carrot cake. then YUM!!

But I read the blog sixuntilme.com
everyday now. 

I LOVE HER! She really helps us diabetes feel like we aren't alone. 
And we're human. 


If you have diabetes, love someone who has diabetes, or
are just curious
check her out!

Anyways, she baked a banana bread and posted it. After
looking at it and longing to make some more bread
I decided i'd give it a try today. 

After trying to squeeze baking it in before breakfast
I had to stop and eat and then 
run to the store
ZERO brown sugar in the house. 

So this is how it turned out!

I had to enlarge it, so sorry for the fuzziness. 
This is what I did:

Ingredients:

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1tsp Baking Soda
2 Eggs 
1tsp of Vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
about 4.5 Bananas (they were all
bruising and hubs won't eat them)
One spoon of homemade applesauce
1/4 cup Brown Sugar 
1tbsp Butter
2/3 Cup Oatmeal (I just poured it in until it looked good. )
1/4 tbsp Nutella (just used a spoon)

I preheated my oven to 350 degrees. I melted the butter with the brown sugar in the microwave.
Then I put the bananas, vanilla and eggs in a big bowl together. (When I put the bananas in I broke them into pieces before putting in bowl to help mash them) I mashed until only small pieces of banana left. Measured dry ingredients in mixing cup. Poured the flour mixture in the wet mix. Added applesauce and oatmeal in . Mix until combined. Sprayed the bread loaf pan and dumped it in.

I then put nutella on the top and popped it into the oven. My nutella was still firm from being in the cupboard so i waited until it had been cooking for 10 minutes and swirled it around once it was warm

I cooked this together for 45 minutes. First 10, then swirl the nutella, then 35 remaining. 

Ate it= AWSOME. 

If you want MORE fiber, then you could add wheat germ to it too. :) 

Have you found a recipe and modified it to meet your dietary needs?
Let me know!!!:)

Stay warm!
-CK-

No comments:

Post a Comment