Sunday, September 18, 2011

Invisible Illness Week

Today is the last day for 
Invisible Illness Week. 
After reading many in the 
DOC (Diabetes Online Community)'s
posts, 
I decided to also fill it out. 




Here I go!:


1. The illness I live with is: Type 1 Diabetes

2. I was diagnosed with it in the year: 2007

3. But I had symptoms since: at least 4 weeks prior to diagnosis

4. The biggest adjustment I’ve had to make is:learning
how my body reacts to blood sugars, which is never the same, and that 
I can't enjoy as much fruit at one time as possible anymore :( 
(Just know, I CAN eat fruit, and sugar, just not how i enjoyed it before Diabetes)

5. Most people assume: like I mentioned above, when people
assume you can't have or eat that. Or that I can just take a pill, or lose weight, or
work out and no longer have it. NOT TRUE.

6. The hardest part about mornings are: When I wake up too low, not where I want to be, 
or too high. Makes for a MISERABLE day.

7. My favorite medical TV show is: I used to enjoy ER when it was on, 
otherwise, I try to stay away from medical shows, ESPECIALLY when the information
is not correct.

8. A gadget I couldn’t live without is: "A gadget" means supply closet that I cannot
live with out. Insulin- HELLO?

9. The hardest part about nights are: never really knowing what the night will bring. 
Will it bring, 4 juice boxes, 2 packages of fruit snacks and glucose tabs,
or putting on a temporary basal all night and waking up every hour taking blood sugars
to prevent lows.

10. Each day I take a couple vitamins and Insulin but could easily take multiple pills
later when more complications occur...

11. Regarding alternative treatments: Find one, too bad you'll be looking a long time. 
Type 1 diabetes, does not have alternative treatments. Only one: Insulin.

12. If I had to choose between an invisible illness or visible I would choose:I don't know. It was always somewhat invisible until I got the pump. 
Now I get the most ignorant stares and rude people staring at what i'm doing,
or what I have clipped to my pocket..etc.

13. Regarding working and career:  Diabetes is always on my mind, regardless of 
what I'm doing. I do hate when diabetes interferes when I need to focus on work.

14. People would be surprised to know: That even though I take as great care of myself
as I can, and even if my numbers are all good, Diabetes is so emotionally and mentally 
draining that everything I do, is actually much harder than I make it out to seem.

15. The hardest thing to accept about my new reality has been:What complications
are in my future, not knowing how carrying a child would be and if
my diabetes will keep me from enjoying life, or hurting my husband or family.

16. Something I never thought I could do with my illness that I did was: Become a mom. 
I am not yet, but still baking at 32 weeks. Diabetes has made me
push one more week each time. I have to fight for a day, 
instead of think about the months or weeks ahead.

17. The commercials about my illness: Are annoying. Even if there are accurate ones,
you never see them, you get the false information or about how someone or something
"cured" them.

18. Something I really miss doing since I was diagnosed is: Just having a good time,
without thinking of what I have to do, bring with me, or eat/drink before I do this..

19. It was really hard to have to give up: How uncomplicated my medical 
life was before.

20. A new hobby I have taken up since my diagnosis is:I don't know if I have a new one really, right now is growing a baby.

21. If I could have one day of feeling normal again I would:  I don't even know. 
Normal meaning illness free- I would probably fly back to Italy and eat my heart out, and fly
without any baggage.

22. My illness has taught me:I can do what I put my mind to, to understand how hard 
life can be, and having an illness shouldn't stop you from living, you just have to do it differently.

23. Want to know a secret? One thing people say that gets under my skin is: "can she eat that?" "Oh no, she can't have that" or "if it's not sugar free can you have it?"

24. But I love it when people: ASK. ASK. ASK. I don't mind explaining ANYTHING diabetes related, just don't assume I can or can't without asking.

25. My favorite motto, scripture, quote that gets me through tough times is: 
I don't know if it gets me through tough time, but Patience is a virtue, and 
treat others the way you want to be treated. 

26. When someone is diagnosed I’d like to tell them: You can do this, It's hard, frustrating,
and over whelming but I PROMISE it becomes easier. Also, you will find 
your own way of what works and what works with your body.

27. Something that has surprised me about living with an illness is:how much
of your time is consumed with diabetes.

28. The nicest thing someone did for me when I wasn’t feeling well was: Seeing 
as though I am currently pregnant and diabetic, my husband has been such a 
blessing. From helping get supplies, to helping around the house, 
or making sure he gets drinks or sugar when needed
or to prepare for one.

29. I’m involved with Invisible Illness Week because: It is important for me
to share with others who don't have diabetes some more aspects of what 
life is like. How if you can prevent this, DO IT. 
But to show that no matter what diagnosis I may have,
nothing is impossible.

30. The fact that you read this list makes me feel: That you care too about 
what my life is like, and those that have Diabetes or an invisible illness.

No comments:

Post a Comment